Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Superheroes and Disguised Villains in the Slaughterhouse

  

  When I started to read Beowulf  I was determined to NOT think about the guiding questions with which we were provided.  However, the question about superheroes stuck in my mind as I
read.  Why do we really enjoy superheroes? Why do we idolize them? Is a superhero automatically a good leader because he or she is a superhero? What is a superhero? At first meeting, Beowulf would not be my kind of superhero. Sure, many heroes are entitled to a certain amount of pompousness, but Beowulf lays it on thick. My first reaction is to automatically dislike him.  But is that the point? There must be a reason for his over-confidence. I think of my favorite superheroes.  Superman.  Batman.  Spiderman.  Iron Man.  The last one is the only “confident” superhero that comes to mind.  Most are humble, lay low.  Iron Man is much like Beowulf: throwing boasts around and such.  What is it about Beowulf (but not Iron Man) that irks me so?
            First of all, the only reason Beowulf comes to help the Danes is to satisfy his manly ego.  He comes to their aid, not to help an ally, but to prove he is superhuman.  It’s almost as though he thinks he is divine.   In one of the many “boasts” he makes he says, “Now I mean to be a match for Grendel, / settle the outcome in single combat” (425-426).  He’s surrounded by a bunch of wimps who throw around insults, really.  Of course he looks like God.  The king builds a magnificent mead-hall simply to get drunk and wallow in his misfortunes.  What I want to know is if Hrothgar has any better ideas than to send off his men to get mangled by Grendel.  Instead, he sits on his throne and cries about the mutilation of his kingdom.  And they STILL sing him praises.  When Beowulf defeats Grendel, the poem even says, “Yet there was no laying of blame on their lord, / the noble Hrothgar; he was a good king” (861-862).  WHY????  Does the status of the nobility really mean that a king is held in high regard no matter what? Even if he drinks and cries while his people are slaughtered.  Of course Beowulf is held in high regard. His statistics are impressive, I will admit.  But what do the Danes have as an example? A king who admits his brother would’ve made the better king. Is Grendel really the demon? Or is Hrothgar the one who belongs in hell for not defending his people?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Becca that Beowulf is a far cry from the typical superhero, but I do think he is one in his own right. A superhero may not always fly around with a cape lifting cars off of children, but can be someone who achieves great feats and is admired. A superhero can be a mother or a political figure, not necessarily someone with an official title or position. A superhero's job when we think of the common book description is to protect the people of a certain area no matter what it takes. Some are born into it and others fall into it. Beowulf was basically born into this position to save these people from Grendel. He did not have to specifically pay the debt off this way, but he would eventually be obligated to at some point in order to keep peace between nations. I think he is a superhero because we sometimes relate superheroes to being similar to us. Most have secret identities that lead normal people routines and Beowulf may be strong and unusual, but he is human. He also thinks like a human. He may brag and boast, but he also admits that death is a possibility at all times and that like everyone else, his chance at life is left to fate. He is no bitter and vengeful uberman who thinks no rules apply to him. He is a super human, trying to do good for other humans, even if he does like to talk himself up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with Becca, I also did not want to look at the guiding questions because I thought it might alter my readings and influence my own thoughts on the epic. Also, just like you, I thought of the first question to be really eye catching. However, I’m going to disagree with your views on Beowolf. I do not think Beowolf lays it on too thick because he can back up his claims and he has the support from his leaders. In addition, I think that Beowulf was written in a different culture than we are in today. In the time period this was written, proving one’s self through actions and verbally telling people of your accomplishments was normal, if not expected to show pride for your lineage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it conflicting that Hrothgar was so weak as well. It was interesting that Professor MB said it was not Hrothgar's "job" to fight and protect his men, but just give out gold. I guess according to the time period, those actions were valued and praised. However, I feel it is a king's duty to both fight for his people and to maintain order in his kingdom (this includes finding ways to make sure everyone eats etc). My problem is if Hrothgar is such a good king because he "does his job" and feels that's all that he owes his people, then why is he so impressed by Beowulf's valiant behavior to tell him:
    If it shall come to pass that Hrethel's descendant dies beneath a spear, if
    deadly battle or the sword blade or disease fells the prince who guards
    your people and you are still alive, then I firmly believe Geats won't find a
    man worthier of acclaim to call their king and defender as you 1845-1850.
    Obviously Hrothgar recognizes how a king is supposed to act and defend his people, so he says Beowulf is fit to be a king. BUT WHY DOESNT HE DO THESE THINGS IF HE FEELS THAT IS WHAT A KING SHOULD DO?!! I thought maybe he had a different idea of what a king should do because he sits around all day handing out gold to make people like him (in my opinion), yet he acknowledges that Beowulf should be king because he defended the Danes---he did NOT give them gold. He sucks!

    ReplyDelete