Monday, September 22, 2014

We are the Knights Who Say... the correct answer and get away with rape.

Diving right into my thoughts on the Wife of Bath’s Tale, I’m honestly not too sure what to make of it. At first I thought it was good that the women were punishing the lusty knight for raping the woman, but by the end of the tale he’s basically gotten everything he wanted just by whining about his wife being ugly. I suppose my main question here is: Did he really learn his lesson? It seems by the end that he might have, but he also just kind of whined until she gave him the question, to which he couldn’t answer and just forfeited.

            Conversely, I did appreciate that the women in the story did have a strong central focus and were consulted for the major decisions. King Arthur obeying his wife’s counsel is obvious foreshadowing to what would be the answer to the queen’s question. I think because of the main role that women play in this story, the Wife of Bath’s role as a proto-feminist does begin to shine through and the story speaks volumes to the type of person she is. The control that she has over all of the husbands she has had is a perfect example of the desire to be in charge that answers the queen’s question.
           

            So while I think that it’s good that women took a central role, and the Wife of Bath is definitely making a point of telling a story that is relevant to her life, I’m still not 100% sold on the ending. It’s good that there was a nice tied ribbon of a happy ending, but should the knight have gotten what he wanted? The tale begins with him raping a woman and ends with him married a woman that is both beautiful and good. I know that the setting is an important factor here, but I definitely don’t believe this guy deserves a happy ending. He stays shitty until he decides to leave one decision up to her and she magically becomes great and – big shocker here – he’s suddenly happy because beauty is only skin deep. The woman already seemed good, so the personality was there. She just had to look better before he would accept that they were married.

2 comments:

  1. Zack,
    The second comment you made--where King Arthur listens and ultimately obeys the Queen's suggestion on sparing the knight--was really a great point, which I had not thought of. It is an excellent example of what the Wife of Bath stands for. With the Queen having that position of power in her relationship, I wonder why she felt it was necessary to send the knight to find what woman want, since she has what other women want. Even though she did not protest when the Knight returned with his answer, it is odd to me that she would agree that all woman want that. Why want what you already have? Perhaps she wants this for all woman and that they should feel what she feels. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack,
    I too am struggling to decide whether or not I like the ending. Like you said, is it too much of a "nice tied ribbon of a happy ending?" I will admit that I'm a sucker for a romance and a happy ending, but in this situation I don't think I would agree. The Knight is ultimately getting rewarded for raping a woman. His "punishment" was a year and a day journey to find the answer to a question. He found the answer and married an old hag who turned into a beautiful young woman. I do not feel any sense of remorse for him. Rape is not something to be taken lightly in the slightest, and I feel that by the "punishments" the Knight received, he never fully understood that what he did was wrong.

    ReplyDelete