Monday, October 20, 2014

Deal or No Deal?

I've been faced with the question of making a deal with the devil in high school. I attended one of those strict catholic schools where God was glorious and Lucifer was a bad spoiled brat with daddy issues. During a lesson on morals, my teacher asked if people would make a deal with the devil if they had the chance. As you could’ve guessed, most the class said no deal. The pride on my teachers face was evident.
           
Yet, when the moment had passed, I questioned the truth behind our words. To this day, I still don’t know what my answer should be. Not until the moment presented itself, would I. The decision is the greatest act of selflessness or selfishness. I can understand when people say they’d volunteer themselves to save someone they love. It is a selfless act. Then again, I can also understand when someone volunteer’s their soul to become immortal, powerful, intelligent beyond human ability. It reflects the selfishness in humanity.

This war between selfishness and selflessness manifests around Faustus with his visits from the good and bad angels. Both sides have valid points for Faustus to consider before he makes the deal. On page 20, the good angel tries to keep Faustus from hell by saying, “Sweet Faustus, think of heaven and heavenly things” (ll. 21-22). Meanwhile, the bad angel tempts him to think, “No Faustus, think of honor and of wealth” (ll.23). Their external appearance signifies the internal war Faustus fights regarding what is right and what is wrong.



Faustus is a confused man too easily tempted by power, vengeance and desire. He thinks it’s possible to change his life for the better by hiring a demon servant to do his will without considering the consequences behind it. Does he actually know what he’s gotten into with Lucifer? Hells-belles no. Lucifer is a tricky bastard as far as I’m concerned. He’s going to get you one way or another because that’s what he’s known to do.

I find it funny that the demon Faustus calls upon, Mephostophilis, tries to make him see it’s a bad idea to sell your soul. You will be eternally damned aka very unhappy when you die. No more cheesecake for you or long walks on the beach. Fiery living quarters and eternal servitude await instead. So, I guess my true feelings toward the deal are actually apparent now. I would not make a deal with Lucifer, unless something worth sacrificing myself for appeared. Until that moment presents itself, I don’t know what that something could be. 

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a major difference between selling your soul and sacrificing your soul. Faustus is being selfish and greedy and is basically taking a tour of hell with each stop at one of the seven deadly sins. He is willing to give up his soul for twenty four years of doing what he wants all based on the desire for greed, power and wealth. Yes, there are some good intentions squeezed in, but they are never primary thoughts.
    I would like to think that none of us would sign a deal with the devil. It might seem like a feasible deal at the time, but I would hope that we had the mindset to think this through and remember the consequences. Is what you want now so important that you would risk all eternity in some unexplained, fiery realm filled with unknown threats and dangers? Is money or good grades worth your name in blood and debt to the devil for eternity really easier than working hard towards your goals? I do understand Faustus' frustrations with his job and hobbies. So make some new friends or try your hand at a new career or hobby. Selling your soul is slightly risky.

    I also think it's important to point out that difference between selling and sacrificing. I would hope that to sacrifice yourself for a loved one or to take a risk for them would be seen as heroic and kind hearted and would actual put you on the fast track to heaven, nirvana or whatever pure and good afterlife or reward we picture. I think to sell your soul for a temporary pleasure is despicable and unthinkable. Wish and dream all you want, but work towards it yourself. The easy way out never truly ends well. And if you're going to go out on a limb and sacrifice yourself, make sure it's worth it and that it at least helps someone in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you were able to bring in a comparison from your own life. That was really well done and relevant. It's interesting to consider the different between selling and sacrificing your soul, and even more interesting that even Mephostophilis is telling Faustus not to do it. It seems like Mephostophilis already knew that Faustus wouldn't be swayed but wanted that moment to be able to say "I told you so" when things inevitably go south.

    ReplyDelete