Monday, October 6, 2014

Have things really changed?

Utopia. . . I really enjoyed Raphael's talk about robbery and some problems with France. It was amazing to here their problems years and years ago and we still have many of the same problems. My father works with at risk youth and worked with at risk adults for most of my life. When I hear many of their problems, they're an eye opener for me. The reason being is they are just trying to survive. They are already in a bad situation and some of them don't know any better than to steal or lie or cheat just to live for another day or week or month. There are so many out of work or homeless veterans because they served their country and now have no idea how to integrate back into society. There aren't that many programs that help them. DAV (Disabled American Veterans) is one business that helps, but they can't do it all by themselves. It is just becoming better now, with more and more companies having to hire an arrange of people.

If we teach our children to be thieves, why should we discipline them as adults for stealing? ? ?  This is another question Raphael asked in the reading. It just doesn't make sense to me. This goes back to my point earlier, they are only doing the only thing they know. They have no other trade or skill. What else can they do? I'm not from Frederick, however, I am working for a non profit organization while I'm here and its astonishing to me to see so many people struggle. The services that are offered and even some that aren't offered not only here, but in most of MD and DC need to be changed. Although we offer free education for children and it is only mandatory until the age of 16, we should also offer education, trades, and/or even job skills for people who actually need it. I'm talking about the many adults who are illiterate or don't know how to manage money, which is a skill that should be taught in school, but is not, or who are only wanting to live on welfare, just because. The system should be re organized and re worked. This is always on my mind, especially since I see the causes of it at work or hear about cases my father works. But our reading really showed me how much times have changed; and it ain't much.

2 comments:

  1. I live a very volunteer oriented life. I grew up volunteering at soup kitchens and shelters for abused women and children. I remember the first time I volunteered at a soup kitchen. I was amazed by the number of people who showed up but more than that I was amazed by the number of children, many around my age and younger who were there desperate for a meal. Every time I volunteer there I leave feeling a sense of inner peace and happiness knowing that I made a difference in someone's life. Taking five or so hours out of my day a few times a month really does make a change. It is incredible to think that I am helping save the lives of the people in my community who have less than I do. For as long as there have been material goods there have been those with more and those with less. Those two distinct groups still exist today and while some relief is offered, it is not enough... will it ever be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, what I find most interesting in your post, and even in Sarah’s response is the fact that we believe people want to improve. Everyone wants to learn how to live in society correctly and follow laws as well as societal norms. This is the case with most people, however, a growing number of our population are social deviants who do not wish to fit into the norm of society. Many of these deviants are veterans who, once having learned their trade of warfare cannot and refuse to integrate back into a normalized society. How can we help those who are unwilling to help themselves? In the case of a utopia, how can societal norms “force” 100% of the population to follow these laws? Even 1 social deviant will destroy all order and peace that has been created. Is there a way to make everyone 100% happy with the way the society is? Is there a way to have a class system, and people who make the laws without having those who feel above another? In these instances, many social deviants become deviant because they cannot follow rules of authority, and some even find joy in breaking these rules. One man will always be over another, and everyone is always trying to be ‘better” but better than what? Its always their neighbor.

    ReplyDelete