Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Doctor Faustus, the Least Sympathetic Protagonist Ever

I can't pretend to have any love lost for Doctor Faustus. Honestly I think he's jackass. He's a brilliant young(ish) doctor who has cured entire cities of disease. So where's the problem? He's bored. Congrats dude, so am I. Everything else he could study bores him but  magic seems like a good plan. He wants to do amazing things and travel places and perform miracles. That's fair, I get that. But can't he do that a regular old doctor. There are always diseases in foreign places that need to be treated (today's day and age is a prime example of such). Why can't he just travel and work on those? That would at least be helpful. It seems like he thinks that magic is the only great thing he has left to explore which seems a little defeatist. Other than that it seems like his only motivation (other than wanting power so he can be awesome) is boredom. That's a state I don't think anyone should make major life decisions from.

I'm not saying I wouldn't make a deal with the Devil (assuming of course that he actually exists). I think that seriously depends on what's a stake. Would I make a deal for some indeterminate about of time (aka until the day of my death, that seems like a questionable parameter) in exchange for my soul? Hell no. Would I make a deal if it meant saving or protecting one of my siblings? Yes, in a heartbeat. Then I'd like to think that I could listen to the Good Angel, repent and be saved (assuming again that God exists). Faustus is constantly offered the chance to repent and be saved and every time he has basically the same thought process "yeah, that sound's good" and the the Bad Angel speaks and (whether or not his words make sense) immediately Faustus is back on the Devil train. This man can't seem to make up his mind, which is precisely the type of person who probably shouldn't have control of a Devil. But hey, maybe that's just my opinion.

My favorite part of this story is Mephostophilis. Always and without fail. In part I think it's because I love his answer about what Hell is. It's interesting to think about all the others who fell with Lucifer and what they must be feeling in reflection to their decision. That being said he doesn't seem to regret it too terribly. Whether that's all the spirits or just him I don't know. Maybe he just gets a lot of benefits for being Lucifer's right hand man.
Oh, and here is my favorite representation of Mephostophilis. Doctor Who fans should recognize this fellow.

2 comments:

  1. I also think it is ridiculous for Faustus to make a deal with the devil simply because he is bored. It read to me as if he was bored of his religion, and the "renaissance" period was motivating him to question all that was around him--but, why turn to a devil when you aren't even sure that the devil even exists? The guy is doubting hell exists with the epitome of Hell waving his hands in front of him with a paper signed in his blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Why couldn't this dumb ass join a frat and get on with his life? Lol I don't think it would matter if he knew everything in the world that there is to know; I think he'd still be a miserable scumbag. Some people are just never content. He's one of them.

    It's irking to see that he keeps refusing to repent over and over again. Like what is it that you can't see, bro? You don't want to be there, but you don't want to do what is obvious for you to get out of there? Your idea of selling your soul for a sibling is interesting because I didn't think of that. I guess that's an acceptable exchange. I wonder if this asshole would have sold his soul to help someone else---let's say he wasn't able to save on e of those people from a disease. I can't feel sorry for Faustus because I don't think he would. I think he only has interest in making himself smarter so everyone can acknowledge it. It's unflattering and annoying.

    ReplyDelete