Monday, November 3, 2014

Angelo, the next Faustus

I cannot decide who upsets me more Angelo or Faustus. they have both made really bad decisions, which will eventually end in someone's death (that much is certain). I can already tell that Angelo is going to anger me throughout this entire play. Seriously, if being an scumbag was a crime he would have been sentenced to death before this play even began. He is the perfect example of how not to get a girl, especially, a girl who is training to become a nun. Really Angelo? you're already engaged. I want his fiance to find out what a cheating bastard Angelo is, it's poetic justice, actually, it is justice.  If this is similar to any other Shakespeare play that I have read then Angelo will eventually get what he deserves (which in my opinion is no less than imprisonment for life, which in Shakespeare pretty much translates to, he's gonna die before the play is over).  I think that may be one of my favorite parts of reading Shakespeare, it is like with superheros, the bad guys are always punished. Granted the difference is that in a Shakespearean tragedy the good guys usually die too but hey, what are you going to do.

The Duke is intriguing character to say the least. I am curious to see what he does with his "spare time." Am I the only one who is really curious as to why the Duke chose to go undercover as a friar? I feel like there is a really interesting back story here.

Isabella, so far I like Isabella as a character. She is smart (thus far), she is kind, and she is virtuous. I am curious to see Claudio's reaction to Isabella's decision to let him be killed instead of giving up her Chasity in exchange for his life. Isabella is certain that he brother would not want her to give up her morals so that he can live but is this what Claudio wants. He is in love with Juliet and he is waiting to die so his mindset might be skewed due to circumstance. Claudio is Isabella's brother and as far as we know they have a good sibling relationship. Is Isabella willing to lose her brother in the name of God or will she change her mind? Is she making the right choice? Can her decision be justified?

2 comments:

  1. I really like Isabella as a character, especially after watching the clip of Angelo and Isabella in class. She holds herself regardless to how intimidating Angelo is. Even thgouh she is exceptionally educated and seems to be pretty skilled at arguing, standing up to a devious villan like Angelo seems daunting (Go Isabella!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg EVERYONE pissed me off! You're right, Angelo does remind me of Faustus with his highfalutin ass attitude. Like, " I do no wrong, but if I did, I would be punished just like everyone else." This son of a bitch wouldn't even admit that he promised to marry Mariana and left her before they could even secure their vows, not to mention lusting after Isabella. He acted as if he wasn't subject to want a woman's body and like Claudio was so wrong for SLEEPING WITH THE WOMAN HE WAS GOING TO MARRY! Angelo is a bitter baby bitch that wants everyone else to be miserable because he pisses icesickles (according to Lucio).


    The Duke made me mad too. He is too soft and he shouldn't be a king. His people don't respect him, which Lucio makes very clear by talking about him behind his back (unknowing he is really talking to the Duke). Like we said in class, no one is punished, so no one fears or respects the Duke. What makes me so angry about him is that like that bitch ass King Hrothgar who never lifted a finger and let Beowulf do all the dirty work. They are UNFIT KINGS! If you're ruling a nation, you have to crack the whip and enforce justice. All he does is try to "fix"people's lives as if he's so perfect. He may not have done the things Lucio said, but I'm sure he is not free of sin. We all sin. Who the fuck does he think he is to test everyone and judge them based on their secrets and sins? He reminds me of a little boy that steals his sister's Barbie dolls---he treats his people like dolls that he can toy with for his own amusement. He's a sick fuck in my opinion and I find it disgusting that he was basically pushing up on Isabella the whole time. It's like he said, "I'm gonna teach this country a lesson...but while I do it, I'm gonna score this awesome virgin girl." How dare he scorn Angelo for wanting her---it seems to me the Duke lusted after her as well, which is why as soon as he unveiled himself, he asked for her hand in marriage. Im disgusted with how the play ends, I don't think the Duke is a suitable husband for Isabella AT ALL.

    I don't even know what to say about Isabella's situation. I know my brothers would beat my ass if I ever even thought about having sex---even if it was to save their lives (I have two overprotective brothers who still look at me as a 12 year old girl.) it's not a virtuous thing to do to save your brother's life, but then again, I wouldn't want mine to die. But then again, I can't imagine a nasty tall man (how I picture Angelo) with a long dark beard, bulgy eyes, a potbelly, yellow teeth, and nasty moles all over his face and neck telling me to fuck him to save my brother. I think I'd have to be sentenced to death for castrating him, but I guess that's just me.

    ReplyDelete