Sunday, November 16, 2014

I think reading Paradise Lost would be easier if any (or preferably all) of the dialogue was in quotes.  Shorter sentences would be nice as well but I suppose that might be asking too much. Basic quotation marks would be really helpful for knowing when characters end their speeches. At some point it tends to say something along the lines of "so spake" or "h' Arch-Fiend replied" and that makes finding the start of speech a bit easier. They just are so wordy (I mean so far that's mostly all Satan) that it can be hard to figure out where they stop speaking. 

That being said  I do really like this translation or update or edition or whatever the proper term is for it. Not only are the notes pretty helpful but the words themselves are easier to process (as many of them as there may be). Just based on that factor this has been the easiest text for me to read up until this point in the semester. So thanks to whoever did the editing. I do think it's interesting how some sentences are ten-plus lines long while others are seven words long. I know a variation in sentence structure makes the reading more interesting but that is one hell of a variation. 

There was a  old man I grew up with, named Guy Waterman, who died when I was six. Guy was a professional jazz pianist , a speech writer for three presidents (including Nixon), and the author of four books. This may seem like a really weird tangent but Guy was a huge Milton fan with obsessive compulsive tendencies. So Guy memorized Paradise Lost. Not just a few lines, not just Book I, but the entirety of Paradise Lost.  In terms of sheer accomplishment I put Guy pretty high up on the list of bad-asses. I imagine the list of people who memorized Paradise Lost consists of Milton, Guy, and a few others who really need to find another source of amusement. 

But whatever, tangent aside. I find myself really liking Satan. Not because he's any pillar of society, I think it's pretty clear that he's not, but because he's pretty optimistic about this hell thing. Like Dr. MB said in class, "Satan's a glass half full kind of guy." And maybe it's because he's got it better than anyone else who fell with him, but I like his optimism. I'm not sure if the other devils/demons/fallen angels are quite such big fans of the "Better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven" theme but that's probably just because they're stuck serving in Heaven and Hell. I think it will be interesting to see how everything pans out. 


2 comments:

  1. I agree: I sympathize with Satan, but I wouldn't have realized it or admitted it---even after looking at my angry notes. This text paints Satan as a tragic hero that falls. I actually look at a God as the bully when I read this.

    I can't even get through this text without struggling and you mean to tell me people can memorize it? I wonder if they know what each sentence means and can identity the subject and verb of all sentences! LolYeah, Professor MB made me admit that I was kind of sympathetic to Satan. I found myself writing angry questions and statements in the margins as I

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, sorta; I really do sympathize with Satan... but not because I do not sympathize with God (if that makes any sense). Satan is a guy who stood up for what he believed in... something that God made him capable of doing. What's wrong with standing up for what you believe? But, that doesn't make God a bad guy either. He was defending his region and people--totally acceptable behavior. Where Satan is starting to loose me, though, is how he is manipulating his supporters. Regardless to if they stood on the front lines with him and rightfully deserve to be in Hell.. it's his fault they are there. They may have lived blissfully silent in Heaven and been relatively okay. He needs to respect them a little more, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete