Wednesday, December 10, 2014

All Hail Lilliput

I wanna talk about the Lilliputians because they really reminded me of the discussions we had while reading Utopia. I found myself thinking about society, which clearly was Swift’s intentions, and how the Lilliputians did things differently. The contrasts seemed insignificant, for example the tightrope extravaganza’s to become an elected official. But, what I found so interesting, was how these officials who are elected in a completely different manner are equally as under-qualified as many would arguing European and even U.S. officials are. I mean, they are going to cut this mountain man’s eyes out because there is a chance that he is sneaky around with the enemy? What does that accomplish? I feel like the Lilliputians are equally as poor decision makers as the Europeans and if Gulliver would have made his way back to Lilliput, he would have been just as disgusted with the Lilluptians as he became with his parents and human society. Almost like these people, even in their ridiculous form, are not any better than “mountain” sized people.


Sorry, this post is really short and a little late and a little scatterbrained!! I am having a personally and academically rough week! I hope my lateness didn’t mess up with anyone’s commenting!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think in some ways, the Lilliputians are really smart, like being good at math, however, a lot of their customs, I think are absolutely ridiculous. I just don't get it. Like being on the tight rope or even the egg breaking. Like who cares? I think that every culture there is something that outsiders could call dumb or not agree with, like in Utopia, however, if that is what works for them, then cool. I just don't wanna be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think their customs are ridiculous because they are satirizing the custom's of Gulliver's people. They aren't meant to be logical because human customs and disagreements are equally dumb. If you dropped a stranger into American or English culture I'm sure they'd point out things that they find mind boggling but we are totally used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I'm having a very scatterbrained week myself. I believe that the customs of the Lilliputians are a little out there. Especially, their way of electing political figures. While I like the fact that the political figures are constantly redoing tightrope dances because it helps to ensure that the person that everyone thought was right for the job really is right for the job. However, like we discussed in class, the people participating in this tightrope dancing are the ones with the most money who have been training their whole lives. Which in a lot of ways is similar to our government. The person with the most money to put towards a political campaign usually wins.

    ReplyDelete