Monday, December 1, 2014

Devils, Satan, Adam and Eve, and the Human Condition

In the past few books that we have read they have discussed devils, Satan, and the human condition. In Oroonoko, the author, Aphra Behn discusses the innocence of Adam and Eve tying this novella to some of the other pieces of literature that we have read this year. In Paradise Lost, Satan discusses his point of view. Satan plans to corrupt God's newest creation. In Oroonoko, the narrator discusses Adam and Eve and compares the innocence to that of the narrator prior to when they began to sin. I think that the religious references between the literature that we have read kind of builds off of one another. I know that this is a really short post but my next post will be longer.

2 comments:

  1. That is my favorite part of the reading that was assigned for Tuesday! I find it so interesting that a community of people could be so ignorant (if ignorant can be used in a good way) to the stupidity that is the European man! What I noticed after reading this again, after reading it a few years ago, that she refers to her story of Oronooko as lacking the invention of man, or essentially is saying that her account is entirely true. But, then she talks about how the white-European man does not know how not to lie and uses similar terminology to reference lying. This leads me to believe that this is one of the many clues to this story being a lie, or sorts. Which makes me wonder what is the point of all of this mention of lying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to get into detail about this. I hate reading stories that discuss race in this type of light. It infuriates me to hear the ignorant thoughts of people of the past, and it really makes me sick. I agree that their thoughts and customs were ignorantly THEY deserved to be castrated and set on fire! I don't believe this story AT ALL. That's all I will say.

    ReplyDelete