Monday, December 1, 2014

The Eyes Are The Window To The Soul

Trying to keep up with how Behn writes is hard work for my eyes because of the small print and large paragraphs. Yet, it is easier to understand compared to Paradise Lost, which had my brain doing circles and criss-cross patterns every time. From what I’ve read so far, it is a very interesting story, but I find that I’m not drawn into it like I was with previous things we’ve read. I don’t know if it’s a combination of her writing style and characters, but I feel it lacks something.

I’m probably the only one who thinks so, but I can rock the lone wolf deal. Yet, there are certain excerpts that I find rather curious. The first was Behn’s description of the Prince on page 2187. He seems to be a well-raised, educated and intelligent young man from the description. His physical appearance is flawless and striking against the rest of his people. He is full of vitality and an inspiration for the men around him.

When it says, “His eyes were the most awful that could be seen, and very piercing, the white of ‘em being like snow, as were his teeth” (2187) I was stopped by the word awful. How can someone’s eyes be awful? It is an unusual description for humans eyes because most writers use adjectives like beautiful, mesmerizing, otherworldly, never awful.

If I could guess, I think she describes his eyes this way because of their experiences, knowledge and ability to see through you. Nothing could be hidden from the Prince because he saw and understood everything going on around him. He spoke English and Spanish so he could communicate with the white people besides his own kind. Since he started young as a fighter, the things he experienced and saw probably shaped him on the inside and sometimes shine through his eyes.

It can intimidating to look at someone who you know has more knowledge and skill than you. You fear their criticism and judgment because you are just trying to get through the day. The people in his town or village may have seen him in this light, besides respecting and looking up to him. The Prince certainly sounds like a fearsome thing to behold. With his strong personality and impeccable character, he is a man’s man. Just his description intimidates me a bit. He seems to be very accomplished at a young age and knows who he is. 

3 comments:

  1. Not many have created a post for this week…so I’ll comment on yours, I guess.

    I actually agree with the fact that I wasn’t as drawn to this story the way I was with some of the other things we’ve read throughout the semester. And I also agree when you say that there’s something missing, but I don’t know what. But I think her descriptions were the only things that kept me reading (other than the fact that I have to for class.) Plus, her sentences were refreshing after the lovely Milton, I agree.
    What I found interesting was the fact that I sometimes forgot that Oroonoko and Imoinda are slaves. Behn does a really good job of creating images that make you forget that, just as you point out with the use of the strange image, “awful eyes”. She creates this awesome (literally awe-some) character that shows strength and experience and leadership. That’s why it’s so easy to hate the Europeans while simultaneously admiring them for creating such a great leader in Oroonoko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loathe this story. I don't know why and it really bothers me, so I'm glad you two feel similarly. Everything we've read I either immediately liked or really liked after discussing and breaking it down. But this, not so much. I don't like the narrator or the plot and it's teeny and oddly written. I'm waiting for some sort of big shocking reveal that just didn't come. I feel really badly too because I want to be all pro-woman author before her time, but it's just not working.

    I do like this eyes quote the more I hear it. Eyes tell us so much. They can be completely opposite of how a person is actually acting. I love your blog title because it's exactly what I was thinking of when we talked about it. However, the white part is interesting. It reminds me of cold, war passages about 'seeing the whites of their eyes'. So maybe these eyes are awful or full of awe, but they might be desperate and longing too. An internal struggle on the inside shown only in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think "awful" in this context is the narrator being filled with both terror and awe at Oroonoko's eyes. It's less "wow your eyes are awful, you need new eyes," and more that the narrator can see so much of Oroonoko through his eyes.

    In response to the first paragraph, I agree that it feels like it's lacking something. Paradise Lost may have been harder to understand, but I definitely think it was better and left me wanting to read more. (Miss you, Satan.)

    ReplyDelete