Monday, September 8, 2014

An Achilles' Heel Full of Pride


This is my second time reading “Beowulf” and even though the text remains exactly the same, the way I have absorbed the poem has completely changed since five years ago. The first time I read it, we were reading merely for plot, and if you can believe it, we were to create a puppet show. With the embarrassing but successful puppet show behind me, and the plot already in mind, I was much more focused on the flow of poetry and the words chosen for this particular translation. Seamus Heaney provides us with a smooth and simple read that is delicately intertwined with great descriptive adjectives and leaves a positive taste on the tongue if read aloud.

After finishing the poem and reading through the first batch of blogposts, it is almost overwhelming to realize how many directions you can run with this in. I have chosen to somewhat run back to the start. I think that the character of Beowulf definitely is symbolic of many things, but I mostly think that he is a forewarning of some sort. At the time that this was written, there obviously were not several copies of this floating around. As Dr. MB shared, this was the only copy of the poem and we almost lost it to a fire. Poems and stories had to mostly be shared by word of mouth. “Beowulf” could certainly be a poem that was spoken to an audience or performed with music and style.

There are so many great verses included, but one in particular stands out to me. Line 1758 states, “O flower of warriors, beware of that trap. Choose, dear Beowulf, the better part, eternal rewards. Do not give way to pride” (121). This line of warning stands out to the reader and foreshadows that Beowulf will kill himself with his own pride. It is easy to imagine that this poem could be a warning not only to Beowulf but to a community. It could be a religious warning to not fall towards Paganism and to embrace Christianity, or it could just be a lesson to not be prideful and to love and work towards your community and family.

The verse continues, “For a brief while your strength is in bloom but it fades quickly; and soon there will follow illness or the sword to lay you low…” (121). This line continues to predict the plot. Beowulf seems unstoppable in every swim meet and fight he fancies to join and he certainly seems almighty and superior in the fights against Grendel and his mother. But soon we see Beowulf grow older and he seems to be far from the strong and mighty, unstoppable warrior he used to be. The verse finishes with, “your piercing eye will dim and darken; and death will arrive, dear warrior, to sweep you away” (121). The last line is chilling and ominous to the audience, but I do not think Beowulf takes it seriously.

The passage reminds me a lot of Greek Mythology and the stories told by the muses about peoples’ fate and how they will meet their downfall. Beowulf does not try to run from his fate, but he does not try to swallow his pride and it is his pride that takes him in the end. Beowulf ventures off towards the dragon claiming that this is his fight and his alone. I wonder if he truly means that this is his fight to die in? It is his pride that kills him as he could have easily fought the dragon with all of his men, but instead, he remains prideful and now goes straight into a fight to the death. It is almost as if he knows that death is calling him in his fight and that it is his time to go. He never rids himself of pride, but he almost accepts it. I believe it truly sinks in when he calls for his men and only Wiglaf appears. He must realize that no one comes, because he has always fought alone because of his pride and ultimately, he must face the results of that pride alone.

 


2 comments:

  1. Firstly, I like the comic you chose: it definitely captured the gist of Beowulf's foolish thinking. I too feel as though Beowulf's pride hindered him. Where some people felt as though Beowulf was humble because he admitted that he was a human etc, I still feel that under all of that, he still thought he could win every fight that he fought in. I'm unsure if this is because "Holy God has, in His goodness, guided him here" (381-382). So is it that Bewulf is some cocky d-bag that thinks he's the greatest out there and feels the need to brag about his escapades, of does he really feel he was ordained by God to win each of these fights? Does he feel he has won only due to the grace of God, or by his own strength? That's what conflicts me. I could say he went into his last fight knowing it was his time and possibly putting the fight in God's hands, but I'd be lying to my own beliefs. I really think that he believed he was so awesome, he could beat the dragon alone, thus him saying, "this fight is not yours, not is it up to any man except me to measure his strength against the monster or prove his worth" 2552. I think he was so sure of himself when he was talking, but that changed once his sword feel inside of the cave.
    On the contrary, one can say this was his last hoorah and he knew it. Maybe he believed that he did need to "prove his worth" to God one last time to guarantee his spot in heaven. I don't know.


    I also don't think anything is courageous about fighting to boast. I think the courage and humility lies in helping other people. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the fact that you made a connection to Greek mythology. Admittedly, you do have some three-headed, slimy demon creature presenting an ominous warning to the hero. Inevitably almost every hero doesn’t listen and meets his ultimate demise. I agree with Jaasmine’s ideas on humility. Does claiming that your fate is in God’s hands really make you humble? The sincerity behind his claims is really what’s being questioned.
    On a totally different note, I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds Beowulf to be a propaganda piece, of sorts. This idea that Beowulf’s story is actually a warning not to fall into the traps of Paganism is very interesting to me. But does this also take a darker turn? Since there is so much emphasis on God, it seems like the poem is pounding it into our heads. Maybe it’s not a warning not to fall to Pagan ways, but rather, it’s a warning that Paganism is inevitable. I’m not sure if I really believe that, but it’s interesting food for thought…

    ReplyDelete