Monday, September 22, 2014

Anything men can do, the wife of bath can do better....yes she can, yes she can, yes she can!

The wife of Bath still confuses me, because she's on the border between feminism and using feminism as an excuse to be promiscuous. She is definitely a powerful individual. I wouldn't look up to her as a mother or sister persona, but I think I would cheer her on as she talked back to a man and put him in his place.

 In terms of the prologue, I find it very peculiar that it's longer than her tale. Usually, someone who talks more about themselves and less about the story they're sharing would come across as vain and boastful, but the prologue wasn't really all about her. A great chunk of it was discussing her five husbands. I think the prologue being so descriptive is mostly her setting the ground rules of the trip and saying, I'm loud and proud of who I am and you don't have to like me, but that's who I am. As well as, watch out. I'm experienced with handling and even controlling men and I can control you. I partially also think that she's a bit insane. Yes, literally. I give her kudos for her actions around line 790, when she feigns death and then punches her husband, but as powerful and surprising a move as that is, it's also crazy! I don't know if she's overly sexually driven or if she just likes to know that she can claim one husband after another, but it seems upsetting and bizarre that she doesn't mourn these men. Many women have to work up the courage to marry a second man when they lose the first, and some can't bear to marry again ever. She bounces back awfully quick. And in 820 when she says that she "was to him as kinde as any wyf from Denmark unto Inde, and also trewe, and so he was to me"...at first I thought this was great. Maybe this tussle let them work out their differences and become a better couple. But as I thought about it, I got more of a criminal view and pictured her tying his hands in ropes and burning his anti-women books in the fire. It felt so manipulative and evil and it made me feel like the ending line was telling women that she appeared to be a great wife, but she wore the pants and held the reigns of the relationship and could make this pairing so great because she had taken charge.

In terms of her story, I was shocked by what it was. I was expecting some vulgar bar story about picking up men. Instead, it started to gear towards woman power and saying that no man could ever know what women want most. I also got this huge vibe of women can do anything better than men. So maybe not complete feminism, but more of a competition. I was also very confused by the ending. The whole story you think that yes, women are winning, this knight will never know what women truly desire, he's just going to get hundreds of different answers and he will fail and be killed. But then he ends up being rewarded with a beautiful woman? What was the whole point of the story? Whatever it was, its meaning is shattered as the knight claims his prize: a woman. The story also warps what I was thinking before. Maybe she is insane, but maybe she is not the manipulator. Maybe she is saying that no matter how powerful women are, they should keep their mouths shut. Maybe she hit her husband and their relationship was so "great" because he lashed back and abused her and told her to never speak of it again. Maybe the facade of perfection is her keeping her silence about being controlled and only looks perfect and maybe she is saying that this is true of every wife. That every wife is powerful on the inside, but is forced to look like the perfect married pair on the outside.

I think The wife of Bath feels women are better than men, but is she really acting on it or is she saying, yes, we know we're superior and better, and if you give us the chance we'll fight back, but it's more proper to hide it and pretend all is well?


3 comments:

  1. High Five for the showtunes ref! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your point about feminism vs. competition is worth talking about. Feminism can come to a point where it is extremely overdone. Here, I think it’s the case, and I think the wife of Bath is overcompensating for her womanly-ness. The funny thing is, that whole you’ll-never-know-what-women-want-and-neither-do-women thing is something that has been going on for ages, obviously. I didn’t realize it until you brought it up. Maybe that’s the point? I personally find her too cocky and (like I said) overcompensating for her cause. If she’s trying to promote feminism, I don’t think she’s going about it in the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I agree. Like feminism and her promiscuity are not cause and effect linked. There are plenty of women who know how to keep their legs closed in history---but of course the Wife of Bath's would argue that men never mention any in their tales.

    I think she believes her views and misfortunes are more important than the story she tells after the the prologue, which is maybe why she forgets her place. She seems to love to talk about herself and how she refused to be oppressed and fought back after her fifth husband knocked her out. Like she brags about it. She has a serious complex...I don't know what to call it, but I probably would too if I had lived in the same epoch.

    I agree about the peculiarity of her not mourning her dead husbands. They're like a pair of bed sheets after her tons of sex: she has to keep changing them. None of her husbands seem to mean anything to her, even the three that were "good." I feel she spent way more typing harping on the bad ones. I honestly don't remember anything a "good husband" did, but I can give you a list of what the assholes did. And she didn't have to give so many examples of how women caused the fall of men either. It started to make me feel like she was bashing our sex.

    I didn't like the story because it made me feel like the world hasn't change. Women must be the best at everything: looks, sex, cooking, cleaning, the list goes on. This frog faced knight (I'm assuming he's not attractive because the text doesn't say he is) has a lot of nerve tossing and turning because this "ugly woman" wants to love him. As the text supports, it's hard to find a faithful woman and good wife whether she's ugly or fair, he should have just been glad he found someone that was willing to deal with his bitching and screwed up perspective of how things should be. What really pissed me off was the fact that she changed herself to appease him. WE DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE OURSELVES TO PLEASE MEN!! I felt at the end of the story "oh yeah, a man definitely wrote this crap" because I don't think it was fair for her to change to catalyze his change. Why does the man have to get what he wants in order for them to be happy? What of she couldn't change her looks, oh I know, he wouldn't have kissed her ten thousand times! He's a shallow prick and I hate him.

    ReplyDelete