Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Slut: A Woman with the Morals of a Man.


         There's certainly more than what you 'see' (I suppose read would be the better verb here) to the Wife of Bath, but what I like best about her after reading her story is her attitude and perseverance. I know that this statement seems a tad contradictory to what I said in class, which was: "Maybe she's an early role model of what not to do with one's life". I really don't love the whole stupid-young-knight-gets-away-with-rape part of the story, but there's only so much one can focus on here. 

       Like so many of my peers have said this time around, feminism is a pretty big piece in this story. I really enjoyed the feministic quality that the Wife of Bath had, not only in her story, but also in her character. One idea that occurred to me as I was reading was "Wow, what would this lady be like in today's society?". Though I doubt that this is the case, I liked toying with the idea that she could have been an early activist (even the first?) who was trying to break through the standards of society by doing as she pleased, when she pleased, with WHOMEVER she pleased. Essentially, being like a man.



           Though her morals tend to be on the looser side compared to other women of her time, I like the Wife of Bath. I think that she is smart, calculating, and ballsy, even if a little less than the ideal woman in some (or even most) respects. Being these things got her to where she is 'now', and even though it was a rough and rocky road, she still persevered and worked with what she had. Chaucer painted a modern day woman in an old fashioned tale, and in my opinion did a very good job of it. I honestly wish that I were as smart and ballsy as she was. 

2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    I enjoyed how you envisioned the Wife of Bath of a modern feminist. My favorite part of your post is your mention of how she is less than perfect woman by a mans standard. What I found so great about her tale is that she showed a man dealing with that premise--having a woman that was not ideal. I was not aware of the struggle that man had at that time (perhaps this was me being oblivious) when dealing with being married to an ugly woman. I have always have had the opinion that a woman does not need to hate men to be independent and strong. What I think woman have to do, and currently apply to their lives, is question things in their life and what they should accept. The Wife of Bath does not accept male behaviors which she finds inappropriate and unjust--ie: ripping her husbands page out of the book. And, it seems to me, the old woman is similar, just less physical in her execution. The text says that she does the things which make him happy, but does not live for her husband. So, I am proud of the old woman for that!


    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan and Nicole,
    I like what you both said about the Wife of Bath living for herself and not for her husband. For that, I admire her, but I still wouldn't go as far as to say I want to be as "smart and ballsy" as her or that she is a modern day feminist. Yes, feminism is all about equality of the sexes but I am still not convinced that that is what she is fighting for. My mom always tells me to "pick and choose your battles." I don't think the Wife of Bath picks the best battles to fight (so to speak). To me the Wife of Bath seems to be claiming that God has told her to act as she does and therefore everything is acceptable but then she goes and does things that God would not approve of, so which is right. Good for her for being bold, but her morals are still a bit too loose for me to fully believe she is like a modern day feminist.

    ReplyDelete