Monday, November 24, 2014

Sin plus Disobedience and Satan equals Death? Finally.



So to begin, I’d like to point out how awesomely cheesy it is that “Sin” is the one to open the gates, thus letting sin into the world.  And the fact that she is Satan’s offspring.  I also find it interesting that Sin is a woman, considering this is technically a prequel to the events that unfolded between Satan, Adam, and Eve. I feel like Milton should’ve considered that, at the time this is set, the world wouldn’t know that a woman committed the first sin yet. (Perhaps he was too caught up in those presumptuous sentences.) In fact, all of this presumably happens before “Man” is actually created. 
When I finished this, I had some impressive (impressive to me, at least) revelations about who Sin and Death are in this story.  First, what I found utterly stupid is that fact that Satan doesn’t even remember reproducing.  After all, his disobedience was a way to “stick it” to God, right? I mean, technically Satan CREATED sin.  So why would he not remember the creation of the ultimate revenge on God? He must’ve hit his head way too hard when he landed in hell. 
I find it interesting that Sin is attractive, yet ugly at the same time.  Perhaps this is Milton’s warning of the attractive temptation of real sin—that we should not fall victim to it, despite its appealing nature.  Satan’s daughter is the ultimate personification of original sin.  And maybe the fact that she is a woman is necessary, because women are also considered to be great tempters (at least during Milton’s time, and even today, on some levels).
And speaking of Sin, I found the incestuous offspring between Satan and his daughter to be really weird.  I mean, what??? (Again I ask, HOW could he not remember this?) But then again, it’s kind of interesting because Death is the offspring of Sin and Satan, who is the ultimate symbol of disobedience.  So here’s the equation:

SIN      +          DISOBEDIENCE       =          DEATH

The end of Book II is a warning—that Death is not a natural occurrence, but rather, the ultimate result of disobedience toward God.  Woah! If only it was that simple in real life, eh?
            Right now, Satan doesn’t seem so awesome anymore! Obviously I can’t come to an accurate conclusion, considering we’re not reading the rest of Paradise Lost.  But I no longer feel bad for him, considering this odd chain of events that unfolds at the end of Book II.  Now he’s the god ol’ manipulative Satan we all know and love!


No comments:

Post a Comment