Monday, December 8, 2014

Gulliver, The Final Post


The final blog post! So briefly, I’d like to celebrate that we are all done with our blog posts.

Moving on to Gulliver’s Travels. I am also thrilled that the last text that we are reading is written in what appears to be plain English.  Thank you Professor, with finals coming it is a blessing.

The text did not contain any words that I didn’t know (although, I do love the knowledge of pronouncing knight) and it did not have any sentences that traveled on for three light years.  It was a pleasant read and for that I thank you again Dr. MB. Also, by having the story be an easier read, I can focus on the meaning of it, or just its crude nature. Peeing on fires? Childish though?

As for content, where do I start?  Along with the matter of fact writing Swift details everything precisely. I can literally tell you everything you need to know about the guy right down to not only how many siblings, but there order, and his ship mates, and so much that I don’t know why was needed.  Is there a reason, other than writing style, that Swift would add such great detail? In my Creative Writing class we discuss writing in detail, but I would think that more people than me would have to agree that he exhausted his descriptive nature.  Then by telling us that he is going to leave information out, it made me roll my eyes. Like you couldn’t of done that five million useless facts ago?

In final comparison to all the other texts that we have read, I liked this one.  It was a little too wordy at times, but it was an enjoyable read.  Throughout the semester I have appreciated the gained ability to learn how to read Old and Middle English.  They were challenging, but rewarding.  This text did not have the same appeal, but with all the British literature that we have gained I feel like I could better appreciate this text.  After reading Logan’s blog post, I too find it interesting that this could be a racial book refereeing to Lilliput as “small-minded.” After just reading Oroonoko, I can better form ideas of self and society and how it relates to the time period when this book is written and the bigger, underlining meanings.  Then without reading the Canterbury Tales, The Wyfe of Bath one could not fully appreciate how in this story his wife’s last name is Burton, and how he gets money for marrying her.  Overall, I feel like I have learned a lot from these texts and I can now relate them all together.  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I really enjoyed reading the texts that Dr. MB picked for us this semester, some more than others though. I feel rewarded that I have been able to read old and middle English. I am also so happy that this last text seems to be the easiest one so far, plain English, well seems plain. My mother tried to make me read this when I was little, and I never got past the first part, however, I also always took the text literally. I never thought the author could be criticizing England.

    ReplyDelete