Monday, December 8, 2014

Hollywood couldn't you just leave this one alone?

            Gulliver’s Travels is so much more than the shitty Jack Black movie makes it out to be. Sure, Jack Black is an excellent actor and we will never forget “School of Rock,” but this just wasn’t his best and it’s definitely disappointing, because what I noticed while reading the first book of Gulliver’s Travels was that so much of the satire still lends itself fairly well to current society. The egg situation, for example, is still a thing, as people continue to fight over the dumbest of semantics. With this satire still intact, perhaps altered a little TINY bit to feel more relevant, Gulliver’s Travels could have actually been a decent movie full of rich set pieces and a wholesome family message. Right.

            Without getting too political because that’s not my thing, I think a lot of Jonathan Swift’s message still rings true today. Though he was focused more on fighting the Whigs because they stiffed him on some financial aid, he still focused on a political group, and those groups are still very prominent, especially in America. Reading the novel for the first time, I didn’t know what to expect, and thought that Gulliver’s Travels would be more about a colonist going into a new land and basically terrorizing it, much like what we did when we founded this great nation. However, though Gulliver did do a few not-so-good things (I.E. He kind of screwed up a country’s entire fleet and went to the bathroom on a royal building, albeit with good intentions), on the whole he was an alright guest. Rather, the Lilliputians were the ones who were less organized and really just didn’t have their shit together. They elect people into power because they’re too dumb to be corrupt. That barely makes any sense. Less educated people are the ones who tend who commit more crimes. Of course, the nature of this being satirical tells us that Swift is making a point about politicians, and I certainly don’t have to tell anyone what that point is because it’s glaringly obvious. I also think that’s one of the better things about Jonathan Swift. His writing has points where it is over the top satirical and extremely obvious, yet there are a lot of subtleties to it. It’s difficult for me to find specific examples without being well versed in the history of Irish politics, but within the text there are certainly many subtle inferences about people that make it worth rereading, which was even more so the case when the book was published.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen the movie with Jack Black and I'm glad to know I shouldn't. It looked awful just from the previews and I didn't want it to spoil my reading of the book in the future. I did that with Harry Potter and to this day, I can't read the books which is disappointing. Anyways, I agree that Swift has varying degrees of satirical comments splashed throughout Book I. I'll be honest in saying I didn't know "Gulliver's Travels" was a satire before. I never read it in high school and no one had mentioned that I should read it. I was confused at the beginning, but when it came to the part where he is describing how the politicians got their jobs...yeah, I figured out he was satirizing them. I thought Swift did a great job mocking politicians rise to power and the foolery involved to avoid corruption. Whether the person is dumb or smart doesn't affect whether or not they are going to be corrupt. There is plenty of evidence of both types using dirty methods to achieve what they want. What's that old saying? When there is a will, there is a way? Corruption and power go together like peanut butter and jelly. They feed off of each other until the final goal is reached. There are only a few who are able to withstand the draw of corruption when they hold power. The emperor of Lilliput is a good example because he wants to keep his good impression of Gulliver, but his courtiers try to persuade him to harm Gulliver for the 'illegal' actions he has committed. The emperor is stuck between his own conscience and the conscience of others. Yet, in the end he doesn't have to act because Gulliver scurries away to the kingdom of Blefuscu. I think it relieved the emperor of Lilliput that Gulliver ran away because he didn't have to harm him to satisfy the hunger of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have never seen the Jack Black movie, but now I am curious to see how much they messed it up. Knowing Hollywood, I know it will be really wrong, to the point that I imagie the satire will be ruined, but I really enjoy bad movies. Maybe I am way off, but I think the satire was subtle enough that at the time, Smith wasn't completely scorned by those he is mocking... I was pretty impressed with the Lilliputians' ability (although kind of unnecessary insistence) to create a contraption to move the knocked out Gulliver all the way over to the emperor guy (when he probably could have just walked for a fe minutes to get there). The part about the politicians being to dumb to be corrupt... is hilarious. So either, like the Lillipitians, the politicians are too dumb to be corrupt, or like in Europe, the politicians are smart enough to be corrupt... either way sucks, though. I totally agree about the egg disputes, and Smith chooses a lot of worthwhile details and I enjoyed his satire as well.

    ReplyDelete